Thursday, September 1, 2011

Meet our Artist



Meet Stacy Annon and Sally Favors, artist who will be showing their work at our Fall Concert series on Nov. 18, 2011 in the Civic Building Atrium.

Artist Stacy Annon:


Artist Statement: I am Stacy Annon who happens to be a gourd artist (self taught) living in University Place. My interest in art began with a camera, gravitated to watercolors until I read about gourds while visiting my mother-in-law. I thought "I can do that!" and tried it out. I discovered that working with gourds is not as easy as it looks and so much more fun than it appears. By day I am a civil servant; evenings and weekends I try and balance family with my creative side. I also happen to be the President of the Washington State Gourd Society who sponsors the Northwest Gourd Festival. My work uses ink dyes, pyrography, chip carving, power carving and sculpting. I can be reached at emeraldpools@hotmail.com.


Artist Sally Favors:


Artist Statement: About six years ago, I bought a decorative painting book called “Gourd Gathering,” became intrigued with the idea of using gourds, and started hunting for gourds on eBay. For a couple of months at least every three days the mailman brought a box of gourds I had bought. Pretty soon, I probably had over 300 gourds to paint. At first I only used book patterns but now I am much more adventurous and design my own gourd art. While I enjoy creating gourd painted animals, holiday items, hot air balloons, and baby mobiles (jungle, fish, and barnyard animals), probably my favorite is doing gourd purses. Some that I’ve done have included designs of shelties, chili peppers, flowers and swinging girl, music notes, hot air balloons, roses, and a Santa with reindeer. People stop me wherever I go to ask about my gourd purse since most have never seen one.
Visit her website: http://www.wagourdsociety.org/Favors.htm






No comments:

Post a Comment