Friday, February 22, 2013

May 24th Featured Artist: Rod Giffels

Artist Statement: I have had a long and varied background in photography, dating back to childhood. But the seed really began to sprout sometime around 2003, when I found myself in the middle of a wild horse herd. I have always been around wildlife and animals but this was so different. I took pictures until I ran out of film. When I wasn't shooting, I was marveling at the beauty of the horses, watching the mares and foals, the way the stallions protected the families. I remember thinking that it would be nice to spend a week, following the herd and taking some pictures. Looking back, I think I had that confused with following the cows down the path to the pasture when I was a kid!! That thought stayed in the back of my mind as I worked and played for several years. I even thought about it occasionally in the middle of some long distance kayaking trips. About 5 years ago, I started dedicating most of my spare time to several herds of wild horses here in the Northwest. The focus has improved my skills and I cannot think of anything more enjoyable than tramping around the side of a mountain, spending as much time as possible near the Mustangs. When not working around the wild Mustangs, I spend time filming other available wildlife. When not working or chasing Mustangs, I try to spend time with my own horses on a ranch in eastern Washington. My work can be seen online at Fine Art America under my name, at Kriseanhorses.com and is presently displayed at the Proctor Art Gallery in Tacoma as well as the Florida headquarters of the Nature Conservancy. My hope is to share the beauty and grace of these magnificent animals


No comments:

Post a Comment